Friday, June 5, 2015
It's International Lolita Day tomorrow and while it's mostly about getting together with long lost friends, it's also important to reflect why you love this frilly fashion. Do something different and have fun spending time with yourself too!
It's nice to recharge and reflect why you like this fashion of lace and petticoates; loving it not only because of the friends you've found but how much you've grown as a person overall.
Here are 10 ideas you can do by yourself but can easily do with friends too!
1. Go out visit the museum like the Museum of Art and Design, you'd be amazed how serene walking through galleries alone area.
2. Treat yourself to an expensive meal. Indulge yourself. Or try something new at the Japan Block Fair.
3. Go see a movie you wouldn't normally see by yourself. No one you know will see you cry during When Marnie Was There.
4. Get a summer version of the St. Honore, strawberry and pistachio, at Laduree.
5. Request to sit in a cafe by the window and just people-watch.
6. Be a tourist and check out the World One Observatory.
7. Do some retail therapy at Planet Cute.
8. Book-browsing at the Albertine, a store devoted to French literature (books are in French and English.
9. Buy a dried flower bouquet at the Union Square Farmer's Market.
10. Visit the Hello Kitty Time Capsule.
Wednesday, June 3, 2015
Planet Cute is a one month pop up shop that will open up tomorrow, showcasing local Etsy artists inspired by cute, creepy, and kawaii styles. Find everything from prints, cute flasks, plush toys, jewelry, and more!
On June 5, there's also a grand opening party with wine and cookies from 7-9. It's a great opportunity to support small businesses (and artist)!
Here's a sneak preview of the shop itself.
Planet Cute Pop-Up
June 4th - 28, 2015
75A 5th Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11217
Wednesday, May 27, 2015
Lewis Carroll's Alice and Wonderland is an inspiration to many movies and archetypes in pop culture. It's also a constant theme and inspiration for Lolita fashion - there are many prints and outfits modeled after the ever curious Alice.
If you've never been to the Morgan Library, it is a museum devoted to art and literature (think lots of first editions). As part of the 150 anniversary of this novel fairytale, the Morgan Library and Museum will house the original manuscript, as well as "an engaging account of the genesis, publication, and enduring appeal of Lewis Carroll's classic tale, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland," in their exhibition Alice: 150 Years of Wonderland.
Note: The museum is free from 7-9 on Fridays. Perfect way to start the weekend.
Alice: 150 Years of Wonderland
June 26 - October 11, 2015
225 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10016
Wednesday, April 22, 2015
Vivienne Westwood is landing in New York City later this year. That means you can see all the orb jewelry, heart bags, and infamous rocking horse shoes (I hope) in-person.
But if you can't wait you can't always pre-game at the sample sale this Thursday, April 23 to Sunday, April 26. From my experience stock tends to get updated every day.
Vivienne Westwood Sample Sale
April 23 - April 26, 2015
20 West 23rd St
New York, NY 10018