Valentine's Day - Eat, Indulge, Distract, Repeat
Whether you are enjoying it as a couple, single, or with friends, you should just plain enjoy Valentine's Day. It's a holiday, after all.
So plan a rocking outfit, grab some friends (or drag the significant other), and go out on the town. Or find some comfort in front of the couch with some cheezy movies. Here are some ideas to get you started.
Out on the Town
- Going to Dances of Vice never fails in entertainment. Monday is Amor y Tango at the Highline Ballroom.
- The Hayden Planetarium at the American Museum of Natural History presents "Romance Under the Stars" a classy night with champagne, hor d'oeurves, chocolate covered strawberries, and music followed by a planetarium show of the night sky.
- Have dinner at a restaurant you've never been to. Restaurant Week is still happening so it's a good opportunity to spend a little more than your normal price range.
- You be the judge for this year's Oscar-nominated animated films. Playing at the IFC Center.
- Go straight for dessert at Holey Cream. (And walk to the station to make the guilt go away for a little bit.)
Comfort is Key
- Buy food from your favorite takeout place and eat to your hearts content. Perhaps get a fancy dessert from Financier on your way home to end the night.
- Or finally bake those sugar cookies you been meaning to. Once that sweet smell of sugar is in the air you'll forget its the 14th.
- Wear the comfiest outfit you can find. (Snuggies count!)
- Drink out of champagne or wine glasses. (Doesn't have to be alcohol.)
- Grab your laptop and do some retail therapy. Feeling better means buying something to make your heart flutter.
- Video Skype with your best friend and watch a movie together.
Don't be Ashamed
- Eat cookie dough out of the package. (It's okay it's Valentines Day meaning its a day to indulge in sweets)
- Watch really bad romance movies. Nothing beats a day that celebrates love with a good laugh and unrealistic plotlines. (I recommend Leap Year or if horror movies are more you're thing, House of Wax. Valentine's Day is never complete without watching Paris Hilton get an axe to the head.)
- If you want to spend it alone, that doesn't mean you have to be literally alone. Gather all your stuffed animal friends and have them join you on the couch for some reality TV.
- It's a good day as any to clean. Start Spring Cleaning early.
- Organize your Lolita closet again. It's good to re-organize your wardrobe every now and then because it means finding something you haven't worn or a skirt or hat you just have no use for now.
- Start that sewing project you've been meaning to get to.
- Pick a book out of your local library (or buy one) that peaks your interest (i.e. The Bro Code by Barney Stintson anyone?).
Whatever you do, do something fun. Even if that means just wearing an awesome Lolita outfit or counting down to the Valentine's Day candy clearance sale at your local Rite Aid. What are your plans? I'd love to hear them!